Monday, February 22, 2010

Asakusa and Shinbashi (Mon 2/22)

Today I decided to head over to Asakusa. I'd been there last time, but I figured it'd be good to go back. It's a really touristy place ... but I'm a tourist. I stopped at a little place that was selling mitarashi dango (mochi dumplings covered in a sweet soy sauce). Then I walked around the temples a bit.

IMG_0567

IMG_0571

IMG_0576

After a while I saw a sign that had the English written on it "Keeper of the Red Seal", and it made me think of something my Japanese teacher told me. So I took out my dictionary and looked up the kanji characters from the sign and it said 御朱印所 (ごしゅいんじょ), which is a place where you can use a special little folding paper booklet to get the name of the temple you've visited written in nice caligraphy. So I bought a booklet and had them write the first entry (I need to talk to my teacher before I can say too much about what's written there).

IMG_0438

IMG_0439

IMG_0440

I found the same monjayaki place I went to 2 years ago, and had some curry mix monja. It was delicious.

IMG_0578

Then I set out for Shinbashi and found a bunch of really interesting looking restaurants. I'll have to go back there again for dinner.

1 comment:

Ryan Simkovsky said...

Awesome pics!! Don't forget to try to check out Kabukiza for any plays that might be going on!!!