Sunday, February 21, 2010

Yoyogi and Shibuya (Sun 2/21)

Today I was supposed to meet up with someone I met on Friday, but I waited for a half hour and never saw her. Anyway, I was in Harajuku, so I walked over to my standard Sunday spot of Yoyogi park. There was an acapella group singing in the little amphitheater, and there was a farmer's market called the earth day market. I got to sample some 米あめ (komeame) which looked and tasted exactly like honey but is made from rice. I also stood in line to get some fresh taiyaki (fish shaped bean cake). There were some cheer leaders practising outside; I think there was some sort of cheering competition going on in a little athletic hall nearby. There was also a couple walking around with their pet monkey ... it was really cute.

IMG_0566

Especially since the pet monkey had a stuffed monkey of its own. Then I took a train to Shibuya to walk around some more and try to find some live music. I finally found an area with lots of live music clubs, and decided to pay the cover to get into one. There were 6 or 7 bands that played there. The ones that I remember are The Baddies (a British band) and The Mirraz (seemed to be extremely popular, and their music was pretty good.

Also, one of the DJs that played between bands played a bunch of songs that had people singing "Nanananana" somewhere in them, and he kept holding up a sign that had "8-1=" or "4+3=" (nana is seven in Japanese)

IMG_0433

IMG_0434

Afterwards I caught a late train back to the apartment and went to sleep with a ringing in my ears =)

No comments: