Monday, March 10, 2008

Monday (3/10)

Today it was kinda gloomy. It was raining on and off (and usually more than just a sprinkle) until around 11 when it started to let up. I wasn't going to let it keep me inside though. As soon as I came down to the hotel lobby, I saw that they were selling umbrellas for 500 yen, so I grabbed one and headed out the door.

Side note: this hotel is awesome. It's extremely inexpensive, and it's located right in the middle of town next to the imperial palace. I just have to walk a couple of blocks to be able to catch a bus to pretty much anywhere I want to go. It's not exactly in the middle of any kind of nightlife or shopping scene, but that's fine by me.

So, I headed to Gion (gee-own) this morning, and I went in search of the Chionin temple. I had no idea this place was going to be so huge.

IMG_0710

IMG_0713

It's kinda hard to see, but there are two people walking along the surrounding walkway, just to give you a sense of scale.

IMG_0714

IMG_0716

There was a service going on inside .. I tried not to be too blatant about taking a picture .. hence the suffering quality of the shot

IMG_0717

I wandered around for a bit, and found a cemetary out behind all of it. I overcame my instinct of not belonging, and wanting to turn around to leave, and I just slowly and repectfully walked through it.

IMG_0719

IMG_0720

There were a couple of ladies that had come to clean off a particular grave, and pay their respects. There were buckets and cleaning supplies in a shack at the front of the cemetary for just such a purpose .. I wish I had gotten a picture of that, sorry.

The cemetary was right up next to a mountain side (Higashiyama - or east mountain, to be exact), and some of the graves were up on elevated levels. Here's the view from there back toward the rest of Kyoto.

IMG_0721

IMG_0722

Then I went back into the main part of Gion, had some okonomiyaki at a place where the lady said "We only have 1 thing", which meant they give you the 1 thing they make .. no customization. Which is weird, because okonomiyaki is supposed to be all about customization. Then I went to a coffee shop and had some Brandy Coffee while I read some more.

Then I walked back north from Gion to Marutamachi-dori where there's an 8 story building with a bunch of crafts, and I did some souvenir shopping. I bought a few things, and they told me "If you just spend another 150 yen ($1.50), then you can get a tax refund", so I picked up one more little knickknack. Then on my way out, they stopped me at the information desk because I had bought some stuff and said that I could participate in a door prize lottery thing. I ended up drawing 1000 yen gift certificate, so I headed right back in to find something as close to 1000 yen as I could. They really didn't want me to leave =)

Well, I'm back at the hotel now, dropping of the stuff I bought, and I'm going back out for dinner shortly. Then tomorrow it's off to Nara.

1 comment:

Gabe said...

Yeah, taking photos of temples with people actively worshiping is hard. We've run in to that in three different countries now. After our 5th or 6th temple in Thailand we sort of gave up on being polite.

I just remembered a really awesome cemetery in Tokyo called Sengaku-ji, where the 47 Ronin are buried. You should go there on your way back if you have time.

later,
gabe