Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thursday evening (3/6)

Yesterday evening, I met up with Erina's friend Tina, who I'd met before at some of Erina's dinner get-togethers. We met up in Roppongi outside of a confectionaire called Almost (amando), which is apparently well known just as a place to meet up with people, since everyone knows where it is, and so I was easily able to ask around and people were able to point me in the right direction.

Then we went to a soba place with a really traditional atmosphere. The front door was made of worn wood, and it was about 6 inches too short for me, so I had to duck quite a bit. The upper floor was just along the walls, so that the center was open and you could look down at the lower floor. We sat upstairs, and ordered their soba, which came plain in a wooden box, and you got a cup of soy sauce and some onions, wasabi, etc to mix in as you like. Then you would dip the noodles in that to flavor them. About halfway through the meal they brought out a kettle with the water that had been used to boil the noodles, and you were supposed to pour that into the cup with the soy sauce making it a kind of soup for drinking. We also had some negima, fried lotus root slices, a mushroom that I can't remember the name of, some salty skewered chicken, and I had a bottle of sake, and she had a glass of plum wine and soda. It was a great meal.

IMG_0630

IMG_0633

Then we left, and spotted a pub with happy hour, so we went in and had a few drinks, and then headed back out to a club called Gas Panic (I know .. it sounds strange, but it was a just an ordinary dance club). She kept trying to get me to dance with random girls, and not just me; she was grabbing everybody and putting random pairs of people together. She really made that club a lot more fun than it would have been otherwise. We stayed there and had a great time dancing until around 11:30 when I was too tired to keep going (I'm such a wuss), and I came back and immediately fell asleep.

She got some pictures at the club on her camera. I'll post them when I get them from her.

No comments: