Saturday, March 1, 2008

Saturday (3/1)

So, yesterday I went to Akihabara (秋葉原). All in all, it was an interesting place to see, but not quite as quirky as I expected. I walked around and took a look in all the electronics shops, game shops, comic / book stores and arcades, and just did a bunch of people watching.

IMG_0518

IMG_0519

Oh, and I saw this place that was kind of weird. A linux cafe labelled as "Gateway to the Open Source community"

IMG_0514

IMG_0513

Then I headed over to the enormous Yodobashi Camera. Normally stores around here are pretty narrow and small, but then they have numerous floors, so that they still have plenty of space (and so that you get tired more quickly =), but the Akihabara Yodobashi Camera is pretty big, and then it also has 8 floors. I went up to the eighth floor where they have a bunch of restaurants, and found this place

IMG_0517

It's an okonomiyaki place called Fugetsu. Finally, I was going to have some okonomiyaki. They had their wait staff come around and fix it for you, which is good, because they did a much better job than I would have. It was delicious.

IMG_0515

IMG_0516

I thought that I would head over to Jinbocho (large used book store district), but I underestimated how far it is from Akihabara, so I'll have to go back another day after I've looked up how to get there exactly, and draw myself a map. So I ended up in Kanda, and getting a little disoriented.

So I headed back to Akihabara, sat at a coffee shop and read for a little while. Finally I decided to go back to Shinjuku. Instead, I accidentally got off the train in Otsuka (大塚), because I heard the voice on the intercom say Shinjuku, and looked up at the sign and saw the kanji for Shinjuku, and I wasn't paying attention, so I just rushed off the train. My first instinct was to get back on the next train. But then I figured I'd go out and walk around. It was neat to see a smaller part of town that wasn't so inundated with crowds. I went to a little ramen place close to the station, and then finally got back on the train to come back. Then I slept a solid 12 hours .. today I head for Harajuku, and possibly Shibuya.

No comments: