Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday (3/16)

Today was another lazy day (they seem to be happening more frequently the later I get into this trip). I got up and got to the station around noon, and caught a train for Tokyo (and bought another bento box lunch to eat on the train). The train was nice and empty, and I got a whole row of three seats all to myself.

I got back to Shinjuku and checked into the Washington Hotel again around 4, and took a little rest (the metro train from Tokyo to Shinjuku had been really hot). Then I set out, and just wandered around some areas of Shinjuku that I hadn't explored yet. I found a place where they put a little grill on you table and you do it yourself.

IMG_0844

It was pretty fun, but I couldn't read much of the menu, so I just asked the waiter to recommend something and I think what he recommended (that I ended up getting) was called buri kamo yaki (which I'm pretty sure is yellowtail meat from just behind its head, or its collar, or whatever). Well, that's not all I got, I also got maguro (tuna) and ika (cuttlefish), and a beer that looked like a locally brewed thing called Hoppy. It was all great, and I managed to not embarrass myself .. and another guy let some juice get down into the coals in his barbeque, and nearly smoked us all out of the restaurant. I was just glad it wasn't me =)

Then I walked back around the station, and there were a bunch of bands playing on the sidewalks, selling CDs. I stopped and listened to a few, and I'm realizing that girl drummers are hot .. at least Japanese girl drummers are =)

I should have gotten some pictures .. oh well.

Oh, and then I spotted a place that makes mochi ice cream just next to the south entrance to the train station, and I got a few: rum raisin (which was awesome), green tea, caramel pudding, and sakura. The sakura one was pink, and I can't think of any way to explain how it tasted, other than it tasted extremely pink as well.

No comments: