Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sunday (3/9)

Today, I got up kinda early and headed over to Arashiyama (the west side of Kyoto), because that's where Iwatayama Park is. It's a park where there are hoards of macaque monkeys running around. There's a bit of a climb to get to it, but when you get to the summit, they usher you into a rest area.

IMG_0659

This is the first little guy that I saw on the hike up the path

IMG_0661

While you're in there you feel like you're the one in a cage, and the monkeys have come to take a look at the humans on exhibit. Inside you can buy apples and nuts to feet to the monkeys through the windows. Then, you can also go outside and just hang out with them (but you can't feed them once you go outside). I got some video, but that's going to have to wait, since I need to edit it down, and pick out what's worth uploading.

IMG_0662

And the view of Kyoto is pretty spectacular there

IMG_0669

A video of one monkey grooming another



And then on the way back down, there's a little children's play area, and the monkeys were enjoying it, too





Then I came back down and walked along the river a bit.

IMG_0686

I stopped at a restaurant and had an unagi bowl for lunch, and an ice cream cone afterwards with sweet red beans and mochi. Then I wandered around and happened upon a shrine.

IMG_0688

IMG_0692

IMG_0695 IMG_0696

I walked around some more, and found a thicket of bamboo.

IMG_0699

IMG_0704

Then I wandered through what looked like more residential areas, and eventually found my way back to the main street (丸太町通り or marutamachi dori) and caught the bus back to the hotel.

The imperial palace grounds are starting to get quite a few trees blooming. And you can already see tons of people having picnics and enjoying the brisk weather.

IMG_0706

I'm gonna rest for a little while, and then head back over to that Teramachi outdoor mall.

1 comment:

Erina said...

Phil-san, how have you been? So you went the monkey mountain where I recommended you to go. It must be so fun and interesting to see real Japanese monkeys. Did you feed them from the inside of guest house? Wasn’t it fun experience, was it?? I hope you enjoyed the trip in Kyoto and Nara. Your pictures bring me back to a lot of memories and make me want to go back to Japan.
Look forward to seeing more pictures of your trip. Tanoshin-de! (Have a good time!)